Handball is an intense and fast sport, which puts a lot of strain on the players’ joints. Among the common injuries in this sport, those of the knee are particularly common and can have significant consequences on the performance and health of practitioners. To prevent these problems, the use of handball specific knee pads is a solution to consider.
Why wear knee pads in handball?
Knee pads have several functions that are useful when playing handball. First of all, they offer a impact protection during contact between players or with the ground. Impacts can in fact cause bruises, or even fractures in the most serious cases. In addition, knee pads allow you to support the ligaments of the knee, in order to limit the risk of sprains and ligament tears.
Then, knee pads also promote better knee stabilization, which can help prevent certain injuries like dislocations. Finally, they provide a compressive effect around the knee, which can facilitate blood circulation and thus help reduce pain and inflammation following intense exercise.
Choosing the right knee brace for your needs
There are different types of handball knee pads, depending on the needs and preferences of each player. Here are some criteria to take into account when choosing the right knee brace:
- The level of protection: Some knee pads offer enhanced protection, with foam inserts or other shock-absorbing materials. Other models are lighter and focus on ligament support.
- The size : It is essential that the knee brace is perfectly adapted to the morphology of the knee to be effective. Manufacturers generally offer different sizes, to choose according to thigh circumference or calf circumference.
- Comfort : The material of the knee brace must be comfortable to wear, breathable and wick away perspiration quickly. Some models have an elastic part that facilitates movement, while others have reinforced areas to ensure a better hold.
- Design : If the aesthetic aspect is not essential, it can nevertheless contribute to player satisfaction. The knee pads are available in several colors and designs, which allows you to match them to your equipment or club colors.
The different types of knee pads for handball
Classic knee pads
This type of knee brace is most commonly used in handball. It is a simple model, composed of an elastic band and foam or gel inserts at the knee for effective protection against impacts. Classic knee pads are generally quite light and comfortable to wear, while still providing sufficient support for sports.
Knee pads with ligament reinforcement
Intended for players suffering from ligament problems, these knee pads have a reinforcement system which provides better support for the knee ligaments. They can be equipped with rigid side stays, intended to stabilize the joint, or with crossed elastic bands for adjustable support. These models are often more expensive than traditional knee braces, but they offer superior protection for people with ligament problems.
Compression knee pads
Designed to promote blood circulation and reduce muscle pain, compression knee sleeves are particularly suitable for recovery phases after a match or intense training. They exert uniform pressure on the knee, which helps limit inflammation and accelerate the healing of damaged tissues. Compression knee sleeves are generally made from breathable, sweat-wicking materials for optimal comfort.
How to maintain your handball knee pads
In order to preserve the protective qualities and comfort of your knee pads, they should be maintain regularly. Here are some tips to extend their lifespan:
- Wash knee pads by hand or machine, following the manufacturer’s instructions. It is generally recommended to use a low temperature (30°C) and a delicate program, so as not to damage the materials.
- Dry the knee pads in the open air, away from direct heat sources such as radiators or the sun. Machine drying is strongly discouraged, as it can damage the elastic fibers.
- Regularly check the condition of the knee pads, particularly at the seams and protective inserts. If these elements are worn or damaged, it is preferable to replace the knee brace to ensure optimal protection.
In summary, handball knee pads are essential equipment to prevent injuries and improve player performance. By choosing a model adapted to their needs and ensuring its maintenance, each player will be able to benefit from effective and lasting protection throughout their sporting practice.